Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Something we Should've Learned from Thumper

Dear Reader: Today is a very special day, as it is my birthday (yay!). I'm telling you this because on this special day, I would have only chosen a topic I'm most passionate about to write on this blog of which I am also passionate...about. So please read and enjoy and know that I mean every word and only want you to feel more beautiful. Please and thank you very much :)

Today's post will include an exercise. Not the kind that burns fat from your thighs, an exercise of a mental nature.

I've included a picture of Zooey Deschanel in the post because I want you to look at it for a second. Pretty, isn't she?

It's a really great picture of her, and she looks gorgeous, but do you see that hair sticking way up in the back? Yeah, that looks kind of crazy doesn't it? Seems like someone should have fixed that.

Now, are you thinking about how pretty she is or can you not get past the fact that the picture would be really great if it weren't for that errant hair!?

Would you even have noticed the hair had I not pointed it out? Maybe, maybe not.

My point in all this? Don't point out your physical flaws. Whether in pictures or real life, never draw attention to things you don't like about yourself by injecting it into conversations. 

Things like, "oh that picture of me would be great if it weren't for my elf-ears." Or, "did you hear that? Sounds like a Samurai swinging a sword behind me doesn't it? No, it's just my giant thighs inside these corduroy pants I'm wearing."

I feel like this is one of the most important things we can do for ourselves. Too often people point things out, because of their insecurities thinking that everyone notices their flabby arms when really most people don't. But you know what, as soon as you do point it out, we start looking. 

One time I was walking by a group of girls taking a picture together, and after the picture was taken the one asked, "did you make me look skinny?" As I was walking by, my first thought was what an attractive group of girls, but just was I passed them and I heard that, I immediately looked at her body and realized she was a little bit over weight. It's too bad, because it drew attention right to where I'm sure she doesn't want attention drawn.

I feel as if I could go on and on about this, so I better wrap it up. Just please remember what Thumper said in Bambi, "If you can't say anything nice [about yourself] don't say anything at all!"


No comments:

Post a Comment