Thursday, May 2, 2013

Behind the Scenes of Why This Works

Forget the fact that my newly minted segment "Why This Works" is only in it's third week of existence. It's time to take you behind the scenes (or in this case, inside my head).

This May is shaping up to be the busiest May (cross out) month on record. Every minute is planned. But with a little planning and a lot of trying on, I won't have to skip a beat when it comes to dressing well and comfortably.

Here are the mental steps I take towards putting together the perfect string of outfits for, what I call, the week that puts all other busy weeks to shame.

Step One:
What's the weather going to be like?
Is it going to continue being this dance between cold and comfortable outside? Will it be rainy? I always start with the weather because that's how I know where to start in my closet. Jackets if it's rainy; sweaters if it's cool; a great tank/blouse under both if it's going to be warm and sunny.

Step Two:
What am I going to be physically doing?
I know this may sound crazy, but I come at outfits from every angle. If I'm sitting down to Thanksgiving dinner, for example, I will not plan to wear the jeans I just bought that I'm breaking in. I'll go with a more forgiving waistline. So will I be sitting down? Will I be bending over? If there's a lot of getting things off the floor, then skirts are out. If there's a lot of running around-bye bye heels! Have an idea of what you'll be physically doing before events so that you won't have to be tugging on things while you go.

Step Three:
Who's my audience?
The majority of my week is going to be spent with a group of business people. This rules out any kitschy graphic T's (so the "I rock" and "Vandalay Industries" t-shirts are out) along with anything that looks like I bought it in the juniors section. If you want to add a trendy piece to business attire, always balance it out with something that's classic. So a neon green t-shirt with a black blazer is a good example.

Step Four:
Remember me.
Always let yourself and your style shine through (oh gosh, I hate that "shine through" let's try that again)...don't quench the flame that is your individuality (oh yeah *sarcastically* much better). But do make sure you let your personality out in what you're wearing so that you feel comfortable.


No comments:

Post a Comment