Thursday, December 12, 2013

3 Steps to Eradicate Dry Hands

Dry hands are a huge problem this time of year.

For me the problem begins with the fact that all I drink is water and coffee - two drinks with the super power to travel from your mouth to your bladder in seconds flat. This translates to a lot of hand washing, which invariably leads to hands so dry they crack!

I'm trying to get better at applying lotion after every bathroom visit, but I'm not there yet.

I do, however, have a three step process for a good over-night repair. That way we can at least begin fresh and moisturized the next morning!

Here's what you do...
how to get rid of dry hands

1. Exfoliate.
This process is a lot like what you do for dry skin on your face. I know it seems a little weird to be scrubbing red flaky skin, but the process helps get all of the dead skin out of the way so you can moisturize what's alive.

Find a good exfoliator. I have several, the one pictured is from The Body Shop, but my favorite is from Arbonne.

2. Moisturize.
I really hate it when people ruin things. Like that time a girl ruined most lotions for me by pointing out that the bad ones have "alcohol" listed as an ingredient. There goes my entire collection, lady! Make sure you're using a good lotion that actually puts moisture into your skin rather than ingredients that would take it out. Gold Bond is good and it soaks in quickly. This one by Vaseline is also one of my favorites.

3. Oil up.
Just like the post where I talked about putting oil on your face after moisturizer, it works the same way on your hands. Pat some of that same oil on your hands after moisturizing and you'll prevent the moisture in the lotion from evaporating into the air - locking in that much needed healing relief.
moisturized hands

Do all of this right before you go to bed. This will give your hands hours to soak it all in, and the next day you won't be trying to hide your dry/bloody hands from anyone (eeeeww).

crabtree & evelyn
I know Thursdays are typically the day I devote to this weeks nails, but because the polish I'm sporting is one I've worn fairly recently (read about it here) I decided to write about something else. I hope this helps!

Merry Christmas! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment