Thursday, January 24, 2013

This Weeks Nails

Decide your mood and stick to it.
That's the lesson I learned with my nails this week.

Unfortunately I learned this lesson several rough drafts of repaints too late. However, what I ended up with I'm pretty happy about.

What I started with was another attempt at the monochromatic look. I've seen this done perfectly, but have yet to achieve it myself. It's when you take five shades of one color (blue is what I tried) and paint them from dark to light across your hand.

On the left you see what I ended up with.

The only problem I have with this look is that you have to nail the shade progression or else your fingers will end up looking like Easter M&M's.

After about 24 hours of extending my arm out and staring at my hand, I finally decided to save myself a week of appearing as if I was constantly singing "Stop in the Name of Love", and start over.

What I changed to was a simple OPI "Ski Teal We Drop" with an accent nail technique I've been mulling over.

Yes, this was much better.

What I did for the accent nail, was I took a pink sharpie and drew lots of scientific looking shapes like these...then I simply just added black parenthesis to them all. And wha-la! A cool little cheetah print nail was born.

Make sure when you do this that you let the print dry for a while. I thought I had given it ample time, but when I put a top coat over it (which is a must) it still smeared a little bit. So just give it even longer then you think it needs to dry.

Now I promise myself, and you, that next weeks nails are already decided and I'll stick to my decision even though I'm trying out a new technique and I don't know if it will work.

You'll just have to make sure you tune in next Thursday to see what it is and if I keep my promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment